Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Prickly Pears

I really love putting food in jars and then putting it on my shelf and using through the year. It is very satisfying.

A few weeks ago I finally made prickly pear jelly. Ever since we moved to Tucson I have wanted to make it and last week I finally did. It was not easy. Those things are covered in small fur like stickers that you can't really see. I did already know this so I picked them with metal tongs and then dropped them into a small plastic bucket. I'm glad that I didn't use one of Katie's baskets because my bucket was lined with stickers and thorns when I dumped them into my pot. The bucket just washed right out, but I think I would have had to throw away a basket.
I thought that if I soaked them for a bit in some warmish water then they might peel a little easier. I don't know if it worked because with all the stickers they were not easy to peel at all. I had to hold them firmly with the tongs, slice down with a small knife then cut the whole thing off. I had my pot full of pears, a bowl for skins and then a bowl for fruit. I think I had 40 to 50 of those nasty things.
Apparently if you cut them in half you can scoop out the seeds and throw them away. I didn't know this until I had mashed them all up and realized there were too many seeds to let them just stay in the jam. They are not like a strawberry seed. Wish I took a picture of all the seeds. Oh well. I ended up having to put all of it through a fine wire strainer and I was left with this beautiful juice. The color was so lovely.
It did take a few days to set and then it didn't totally set until I stuck a jar of it in the fridge. It is a very different tasting fruit. It does not taste like a berry at all or anything that I am familiar with. I read that some people think they taste like kiwi but I didn't think so. I doubt I'll make it again. Glad I did it, but it was too much work for something that I don't think anyone else will really eat. I have to give it away.



1 comment:

Kimberly Porter said...

I agree. It was a lot of work and it didn't taste that great. It looks so beautiful, that you would think they'd be sweeter.